Review of Communication Research (RCR) is committed to open-access science. We believe that scholars and students from low-income countries, small academic institutions, and citizens not adscripted to a research institution should have access to scientific knowledge. It is of particular interest that literature reviews be open to read as these articles offer an overview of the state of knowledge about a topic at a specific moment in time.
RCR has to cover fixed costs to keep our articles open access. For example, we need to pay collaborators for their work in the publication process (e.g., website space rental, technical maintenance and PHP update, article production, DOI registration). Therefore, RCR asks authors to pay a production to keep all its content open access. Hence, for all the submissions that are made on/after January 01 2023 need to pay the processing charge of 1000 USD (all tax included) + 50 USD as the transaction commission which leads to a total of 1050 USD per accepted manuscript. If you have department or research project funds, you are invited to pay the fair production charges through your institution.
Partial refund, discounts and Fee waivers
RCR is not focused on gaining money (i.e., money is a means, not an end), therefore, we have many discounts and you can get a partial refund as well. Check below if you are eligible for an automatic discount:
- Scholars who are experienced in publishing literature reviews or meta-analyses. Scholars who have published one literature review in a Q1 or Q2 journal will get a 20% discount.
- Scholars from low-income countries get 30% discounts on production charges.
- Articles with corresponding authors from the following countries get a 30% discount:
Algeria, Antigua and Barbuda, Armenia, Bolivia (Plurinational State of), Botswana, Cook Islands, Dominica, Egypt, El Salvador, Fiji, Gabon, Georgia, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Jamaica, Jordan, Libya, Maldives, Mauritius, Mongolia, Morocco, Namibia, Nauru, Nigeria, Niue, Pakistan, Palau, Paraguay, Saint Helena, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Seychelles, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Turkey, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Viet Nam, West Bank and Gaza Strip.
- Members of the Editorial Board get a fee waiver.
- You can ask us to transfer you back the 30% of the production charges (in which case we will pay the bank/PayPal commission) if at least 25 documents cite your paper in Scopus in the following four years. We must exclude the documents you authored from the list to avoid fostering unethical behavior. In case the number of citations of your article is close to the threshold, write to us and we will study your case!